The Erie Canal
|We were forty miles from Albany,|
Forget it, I never shall!
What a terrible storm we had one night
On the Erie Canal.
Oh, the Erie was rising,
And gin was getting low,
And I scarcely think we'll get a drink
Till we get to Buffalo.
2. The winds began to whistle,
3. We were loaded down with barley,
4. Two miles out from Syracuse
5. We hollered to the captain|
On the towpath, treadin' dirt;
He jumped on board and stopped the leak
With his old red flannel shirt.
6. When we get to Syracuse
7. The cook she was a grand ol' girl,
8. The captain, he got married,