Why Should Cross and Trial Grieve Me?
Paul Gerhardt, 1653; German text
|Why should cross and trial grieve me?|
Christ is near With His cheer;
Never will He leave me.
Who can rob me of the heaven
That God's Son For my own
To my faith hath given?
4. Though a heavy cross I'm bearing
5. God oft gives me days of gladness;
7. Hopeful, cheerful, and undaunted
|8. Death cannot destroy forever;|
From our fears, Cares, and tears
It will us deliver.
It will close life's mournful story,
Make a way That we may
Enter heavenly glory.
10. What is all this life possesses?
11. Lord, my Shepherd, take me to Thee.
12. Thou art mine; I love and own Thee.