Rejoice, My Heart, Be Glad and Sing
Paul Gerhardt, 1653; German text, please note verse numbers
|13. Rejoice, my heart, be glad and sing,|
A cheerful trust maintain;
For God, the Source of everything,
Thy Portion shall remain.
14. He is thy Treasure, He thy Joy,
15. Why spend the day in blank despair,
16. Did not His love and truth and power
|9. He ever will with patience chide,|
His rod falls gently down,
And all thy sins He casts aside
And in the sea doth drown.
10. When silent woe thy bosom rends,
11. He knows how oft a Christian weeps
17. His wisdom never plans in vain,
|18. Upon thy lips, then, lay thy hand|
And trust His guiding love;
Then like a rock thy peace shall stand
Here and in heaven above.