Praise God the Lord, Ye Sons of Men
Nikolaus Herman, 1560, tr. by August Crull, 1923; German text
|Praise God the Lord, ye sons of men,|
Before His highest throne;
Today He opens heaven again
And gives us His own Son.
2. He leaves His heavenly Father's throne,
3. He veils in flesh His power divine
4. He nestles at His mother's breast,
|5. 'Tis He who in these latter days|
From Judah's tribe should come,
By whom the Father would upraise
The Church, His Christendom.
6. A wondrous change which He doth make!
7. He serves that I a lord may be;
8. He opens us again the door