O Lord, I Sing With Lips and Heart
Paul Gerhardt, 1653; German text
|O Lord, I sing with lips and heart,|
Joy of my soul, to Thee;
To earth Thy knowledge I impart
As it is known to me.
2. Thou art the Fount of grace, I know,
3. For what have all that live and move
4. Who built the lofty firmament?
|5. Who warmeth us in cold and frost?|
Who shields us from the wind?
Who orders it that fruit and grain
We in their season find?
6. Who is it life and health bestows?
7. O Lord, of this and all our store
8. Thou feedest us from year to year
|12. Our deepest need dost Thou supply|
And all that lasts for aye;
Thou leadest to our home on high,
When hence we pass away.