Lord Jesus Christ, My Life, My Light
Martin Behm, 1610; German text
|Lord Jesus Christ, my Life, my Light,|
My Strength by day, my Trust by night,
On earth I'm but a passing guest
And sorely with my sins opprest.
2. Far off I see my fatherland,
3. My heart sulks at the journey's length,
4. Oh, let Thy sufferings give me power
5. The blows and stripes that fell on Thee
6. That thirst and bitter draught of Thine
7. And when my spirit flies away,
|8. And when my lips grow white and chill,|
Thy Spirit cry within me still
And help my soul Thy heaven to find
When these poor eyes grow dark and blind!
9. Lord, in Thy nail-prints let me read
10. Thy cross shall be my staff in life,
11. Since Thou hast died, the Pure, the Just.
12. And when the last Great Day shall come
13. Renew this wasted flesh of mine
14. Ah, then I'll have my heart's desire,
|5. (not by Behm) Oh, let Thy holy wounds for me|
Clefts in the rock forever be
Where as a dove my soul can hide
And safe from Satan's rage abide.