Let the Earth Now Praise the Lord
Heinrich Held, 1659, tr. by Catherine Winkworth, 1863; German text
|Let the earth now praise the Lord.|
Who hath truly kept His word
And the sinners' Help and Friend
Now at last to us doth send.
2. What the fathers most desired,
3. Abrams promised great Reward,
4. Welcome, O my Savior, now!
|5. King of Glory, enter in;|
Cleanse it from the filth of sin,
As Thou hast so often done;
It belongs to Thee alone.
6. As Thy coming was in peace,
7. Comfort my desponding heart:
8. Bruise for me the Serpent's head,
|9. And when Thou dost come again|
As a glorious King to reign,
I with joy may see Thy face,
Freely ransomed by Thy grace.