From Heaven Above to Earth I Come
Martin Luther, 1535; trans. by: Catherine Winkworth, 1855; German text
|From heaven above to earth I come|
To bear good news to every home;
Glad tidings of great joy I bring,
Whereof I now will say and sing:
2. To you this night is born a child
3. This is the Christ, our God and Lord,
4. He will on you the gifts bestow
5. These are the tokens ye shall mark:
6. Now let us all with gladsome cheer
7. Give heed, my heart, lift up thine eyes!
|8. Welcome to earth, Thou noble Guest,|
Through whom the sinful world is blest!
Thou com'st to share my misery;
What thanks shall I return to Thee?
9. Ah, Lord, who hast created all,
10. Were earth a thousand times as fair,
11. For velvets soft and silken stuff
12. And thus, dear Lord, it pleaseth Thee
13. Ah, dearest Jesus, holy Child,
14. My heart for very joy doth leap,
|15. Glory to God in highest heaven,|
Who unto us His Son hath given!
While angels sing with pious mirth
A glad new year to all the earth.