Day of Wrath, O Day of Mourning
Thomas de Celano, c. 1250, tr. by William Josiah Irons, 1848
|Day of wrath, O day of mourning!|
See fulfilled the Prophet's warning,
Heaven and earth in ashes burning.
2. Oh, what fear man's bosom rendeth
3. Wondrous sound the trumpet flingeth,
4. Death is struck and nature quaking;
5. Lo, the book, exactly worded,
6. When the Judge His seat attaineth
7. What shall I, frail man, be pleading?
8. King of majesty tremendous,
9. Think, good Jesus, my salvation
10. Faint and weary Thou hast sought me,
11. Righteous Judge, for sin's pollution|
Grant Thy gift of absolution
Ere that day of retribution!
12. Guilty, now I pour my moaning,
13. From that sinful woman shriven,
14. Worthless are my prayers and sighing;
15. With Thy favoured sheep, oh, place me!
16. While the wicked are confounded,
17. Low I kneel with heart-submission,
18. Day of sorrow, day of weeping,
19. To the rest Thou didst prepare me