Come, Oh, Come, Thou Quickening Spirit
Heinrich Held 1664; German text
|Come, oh, come, Thou quickening Spirit,|
God from all eternity!
May Thy power never fail us;
Dwell within us constantly.
Then shall truth and life and light
Banish all the gloom of night.
2. Grant our hearts in fullest measure
3. Show us, Lord, the path of blessing;
4. With our spirit bear Thou witness
|5. Prompt us, Lord, to come before Him|
With a childlike heart to pray;
Sigh in us, O Holy Spirit,
When we know not what to say.
Then our prayer is not in vain,
And our faith new strength shall gain.
6. If our soul can find no comfort
7. Holy Spirit, strong and mighty.
8. Guard, O God, our faith forever;
|9. And when life's frail thread is breaking.|
Then assure us more and more,
As the heirs of life unending,
Of the glory there in store,
Glory never yet expressed,
Glory of the saints at rest.