All Ye Who on This Earth do Dwell
Paul Gerhardt, 1648; German text
|All ye who on this earth do dwell,|
Give thanks and glorify
The Lord whose praises ever swell
In seraph songs on high.
2. Lift up your hearts in praise to God,
3. Since first our life began to be,
4. Though often we His patience try
|5. 'Tis He revives our fainting soul,|
Gives joyful hearts to men;
And when great waves of trouble roll,
He drives them back again.
6. May He adorn with precious peace
7. His love and goodness may He let
8. Long as we tarry here below
|9. He giveth His beloved sleep|
When these frail heart-beats cease;
And in His presence then will keep
Our souls in endless peace.