All My Heart This Night Rejoices
Paul Gerhardt, 1653; tr. by Catherine Winkworth, 1861, German text
|All my heart this night rejoices|
As I hear Far and near
Sweetest angel voices.
"Christ is born," their choirs are singing
Till the air Everywhere
Now with joy is ringing.
2. Forth today the Conqueror goeth,
3. Shall we still dread God's displeasure,
4. Should He who Himself imparted
5. If our blessed Lord and Maker
6. He becomes the Lamb that taketh
7. Hark! a voice from yonder manger,
|8. Come, then, banish all your sadness,|
One and all, Great and small;
Come with songs of gladness.
Love Him who with love is glowing;
Hail the Star, Near and far
Light and joy bestowing.
9. Ye whose anguish knew no measure,
10. Hither come, ye heavy-hearted,
11. Hither come, ye poor and wretched;
12. Let me in my arms receive Thee;
13. Guilt no longer can distress me;
14. I am pure, in Thee believing,
|15. Dearest Lord, Thee will I cherish.|
Though my breath Fail in death,
Yet I shall not perish,
But with Thee abide forever
There on high, In that joy
Which can vanish never.