Peter Sinning and Repenting
John Newton, 1779, from Olney Hymns, vol. 1, hymn 91
|When Peter boasted, soon he fell,|
Yet was by grace restored;
His case should be regarded well
By all who fear the Lord.
2. A voice it has, and helping hand,
3. He said, Whatever others do,
4. He who had been so bold before,
|5. While he blasphemed he heard the cock,|
And Jesus looked in love;
At once, as if by lightning struck,
His tongue forbore to move.
6. Delivered thus from Satan's snare
7. But sure the faithful cock had crowed
8. As I, like Peter, vows have made,
|9. Lord Jesus, hear a sinner's cry,|
My broken peace renew;
And grant one pitying look, that I
May weep with Peter too.