He Led Them By a Right Way
John Newton, 1779, from Olney Hymns, vol. 1, hymn 49
|When Israel was from Egypt freed,|
The Lord, who brought them out,
Helped them in every time of need,
But led them round about.
2. To enter Canaan soon they hoped,
3. The desert filled them with alarms,
4. They often murmured by the way,
|5. In the Red Sea that stopped them first,|
Their enemies were drowned;
The rocks gave water for their thirst,
And Manna spread the ground.
6. By fire and cloud their way was shown,
7. The way was right their hearts to prove,
8. Just so the true believer's path