John Newton, 1779, from Olney Hymns, vol. 1, hymn 82
|Oft as the leper's case I read,|
My own described I feel;
Sin is a leprosy indeed,
Which none but Christ can heal.
2. Awhile I would have passed for well,
3. Then from the saints I sought to flee,
4. What anguish did my soul endure,
|5. While thus I lay distressed, I saw|
The Savior passing by;
To him, though filled with shame and awe,
I raised my mournful cry.
6. Lord, thou canst heal me if thou wilt,
7. He heard, and with a gracious look,
8. Come lepers, seize the present hour,