The Book of Creation
John Newton, 1779, from Olney Hymns, vol. 2, hymn 81
|The book of nature open lies,|
With much instruction stored;
But till the Lord anoints our eyes
We cannot read a word.
2. Philosophers have pored in vain,
3. Though to each star they give a name,
4. With skill to measure earth and sea;
|5. The knowledge of the saints excels|
The wisdom of the schools;
To them his secrets God reveals,
Though men account them fools.
6. To them the sun and stars on high,
7. The creatures on their senses press,
8. Thus may we study nature's book