Oh That I Were As In Months Past!
John Newton, 1779, from Olney Hymns, vol. 1, hymn 43
|Sweet was the time when first I felt|
The Saviour's pard'ning blood
Applied, to cleanse my soul from guilt,
And bring me home to God.
2. Soon as the morn the light revealed,
3. In vain the tempter spread his wiles,
4. In prayer my soul drew near the Lord,
|5. Then to his saints I often spoke;|
Of what his love had done;
But now my heart is almost broke,
For all my joys are gone.
6. Now when the evening shade prevails,
7. My prayers are now a chatt'ring noise,
8. Now Satan threatens to prevail,