The True Aaron
John Newton, 1779, from Olney Hymns, vol. 1, hymn 19
|See Aaron, God's anointed priest,|
Within the veil appear;
In robes of mystic meaning dressed,
Presenting Israel's prayer.
2. The plate of gold which crowns his brows,
3. With the atoning blood he stands,
4. Urim and Thummim near his heart,
|5. Through him the eye of faith descries,|
A greater Priest than he;
Thus Jesus pleads above the skies,
For you, my friends, and me.
6. He bears the names of all his saints,
7. In him a holiness complete,
8. The blood, which as a Priest he bears
|9. In him my weary soul has rest,|
Though I am weak and vile
I read my name upon his breast,
And see the Father smile.