Woman of Canaan
John Newton, 1779, from Olney Hymns, vol. 1, hymn 88
|Prayer an answer will obtain,|
Though the Lord awhile delay;
None shall seek his face in vain,
None be empty sent away.
2. When the woman came from Tyre,
3. Could she guess at his intent,
4. She was not of Israel's seed,
|5. Yet although from Canaan sprung,|
Though a dog herself she styled;
She had Israel's faith and tongue,
And was owned for Abraham's child.
6. From his words she draws a plea;
7. Jesus then his heart revealed,
8. 'Tis a pattern set for us,