Humbled and Silenced By Mercy
John Newton, 1779, from Olney Hymns, vol. 1, hymn 70
|Once perishing in blood I lay,|
Creatures no help could give,
But Jesus passed me in the way,
He saw, and bid me live.
2. Though Satan still his rule maintained,
3. At length the time of love arrived
4. O can I e'er that day forget
|5. Henceforth I take thee for my own,|
And give myself to thee;
Forsake the idols thou hast known,
And yield thyself to me.
6. Ah, worthless heart! it promised fair,
7. Lord, dost thou such backslidings heal,
8. My tongue, which rashly spoke before,