On One Stone Shall be Seven Eyes
John Newton, 1779, from Olney Hymns, vol. 1, hymn 78
|Jesus Christ, the Lord's anointed,|
Who his blood for sinners spilt;
Is the Stone by God appointed,
And the church is on him built:
He delivers all who trust him from their guilt.
2. Many eyes at once are fixed
3. By the Father's eye approved,
4. Angels with their eyes pursued him,
|5. Satan and his host amazed,|
Saw this stone in Zion laid;
Jesus, though to death abased,
Bruised the subtle serpent's head:
When to save us, on the cross his blood he shed.
6. When a guilty sinner sees him,
7. With desire and admiration,
8. By the eye of carnal reason
|9. How their hearts will melt and tremble|
When they hear his aweful voice;
But his saints he'll then assemble,
As his portion and his choice;
And receive them to his everlasting joys.