Lamp of our Feet Whereby We Trace
Bernard Barton, 1826
|Lamp of our feet whereby we trace|
Our path when wont to stray;
Stream from the fount of heavenly grace,
Brook by the traveler's way.
2. Bread of our souls whereon we feed,
3. Pillar of fire, through watches dark,
4. Pole-star on life's tempestuous deep,
5. Riches in poverty, our aid
|6. Our shield and buckler in the fight,|
Victory's triumphant palm,
Comfort in grief, in weakness, might,
In sickness, Gilead's balm!
7. Childhood's preceptor, manhood's trust
8. Pure oracles of truth divine,
9. Word of the ever-living God,
10. Yet to unfold thy hidden worth,
|11. Lord, grant us all aright to learn|
The wisdom it imparts
And to its heavenly teaching turn
With simple, childlike hearts.