The Woman of Samaria
John Newton, 1779, from Olney Hymns, vol. 1, hymn 111
|Jesus, to what didst thou submit|
To save thy dear-bought flock from hell!
Like a pour trav'ller see him sit,
Athirst, and weary, by the well.
2. The woman who for water came,
3. Taught from her birth to hate the Jews,
4. But soon she knew the gift of God,
|5. His words her prejudice removed,|
Her sin she felt, relief she found;
She saw and heard, believed and loved,
And ran to tell her neighbors round.
6. O come, this wondrous man behold!
7. Like her, in ignorance content,
8. He told me all that e'er I did,