On the Death of a Believer
John Newton, 1779, from Olney Hymns, vol. 2, hymn 72
|In vain my fancy strives to paint|
The moment after death
The glories that surround the saint,
When yielding up its breath.
2. One gentle sigh their fetters breaks,
3. Faith strives, but all its efforts fail,
4. Thus much (and this is all) we know,
|5. On harps of gold they praise his name,|
His face they always view;
Then let us follow'rs be of them,
That we may praise him too.
6. Their faith and patience, love and zeal,
7. While they have gained, we losers are,
8. We pray, as in Elisha's case,