The Believer's Safety
John Newton, 1779, from Olney Hymns, vol. 1, hymn 47
|Incarnate God! the soul that knows|
Thy name's mysterious power
Shall dwell in undisturbed repose,
Nor fear the trying hour.
2. Thy wisdom, faithfulness and love,
3. In vain the fowler spreads his net,
4. When like a baneful pestilence,
|5. No midnight terrors haunt their bed,|
No arrow wounds by day;
Unhurt on serpents they shall tread,
If found in duty's way.
6. Angels, unseen, attend the saints,
7. The angels' Lord, himself is nigh,
8. Crosses and changes are their lot,