Dwelling in Mesech
John Newton, 1779, from Olney Hymns, vol. 1, hymn 51
|What a mournful life is mine,|
Fill with crosses, pains and cares!
Every work defiled with sin,
Every step beset with snares!
2. If alone I pensive fit,
3. Jesus! how my heart is pained,
4. When thy children's griefs I view,
|5. Mourning thus I long had been,|
When I heard my Saviour's voice;
Thou hast cause to mourn for sin,
But in me thou may'st rejoice.
6. This kind word dispelled my grief,
7. Though constrained to dwell a while
8. There, believers, we shall rest,
|9. Let us then the fight endure,|
See our Captain looking down;
He will make the conquest sure,
And bestow the promised crown.