Calm on the Listening Ear of Night
Edmund Hamilton Sears, 1834
|Calm on the listening ear of night|
Come heaven's melodious strains,
Where wild Judea stretch'ed far
Her silver mantled plains.
2. Celestial choirs from courts above
3. The answering hills of Palestine
4. O'er the blue depths of Galilee
|5. "Glory to God!" the lofty strain|
The realm of ether fills;
How sweeps the song of solemn joy
O'er Judah's sacred hills!
6. "Glory to God!" the sounding skies
7. Light on thy hills, Jerusalem!
8. This day shall Christian tongues be mute,
|9. When burst upon that listening night|
The high and solemn lay,
"Glory to God; on earth be peace."
Salvation comes today.