Peter Walking Upon the Water
John Newton, 1779, from Olney Hymns, vol. 1, hymn 87
|A Word from Jesus calms the sea,|
The stormy wind controls;
And gives repose and liberty
To tempest-tossed souls.
2. To Peter on the waves he came,
3. Then filled with wonder, joy and love,
4. Unmoved at all I have to meet
|5. He heard and smiled, and bid me try,|
I eagerly obeyed;
But when from him I turned my eye,
How was my soul dismayed!
6. The storm increased on every side,
7. Kindly he caught me by the hand,
8. Upon my promise rest thy hope,