John Newton, 1779, from Olney Hymns, vol. 1, hymn 135
|Afflictions do not come alone,|
A voice attends the rod;
By both he to his saints is known,
A Father and a God!
2. Let not my children slight the stroke
3. The wicked I perhaps may leave
4. If therefore you were left without
|5. Shall earthly parents then expect|
Their children to submit?
And wilt not you, when I correct,
Be humbled at my feet?
6. To please themselves they oft chastise,
7. I see your hearts, at present, filled
8. Break through the clouds, dear Lord, and shine!