The Prodigal Son
John Newton, 1779, from Olney Hymns, vol. 1, hymn 104
|Afflictions, though they seem severe;|
In mercy oft are sent;
They stopped the prodigal's career,
And forced him to repent.
2. Although he no relentings felt
3. What have I gained by sin, he said,
4. I'll go, and tell him all I've done,
|5. His father saw him coming back,|
He saw, and ran, and smiled;
And threw his arms around the neck
Of his rebellious child.
6. Father, I've sinned - but O forgive!
7. Now let the fatted calf be slain,
8. 'Tis thus the Lord his love reveals,