Anonymous, 1799 or 1800
The gloomy night before us flies,|
The reign of terror now is o'er;
Its gags, inquisitors, and spies,
Its herds of harpies are no more!
2. Rejoice, Columbia's sons,rejoice!
3. No lordling here, with gorging jaws
4. Here strangers from a thousand shores
5. Here Art shall lift her laurelled head,|
Wealth, Industry, and Peace, divine;
And where dark, pathless forests spread,
Rich fields and lofty cities shine.
6. From Europe's wants and woes remote,
7. Here free as air, expanded space,
8. Let foes to freedom dread the name;
9. From Georgia to Lake Champlain,|
From seas to Mississippi's shore,
Ye sons of freedom loud proclaim
The reign of terror is no more.
| Song Index | Home Page |