Right: From American Songs and Ballads, Series 3, Volume 3
'Round and 'round the cobbler's bench
The monkey chased the weasel,
The monkey thought 'twas all in fun
Pop! Goes the weasel.
A penny for a spool of thread
2. A half a pound of tupenny rice,
3. Up and down the London road,
4. I've no time to plead and pine,
Queen Victoria is very sick,|
Napoleon's got the measles,
Sebastopol's not taken yet;
Pop goes the weazle!
All round the cobbler's bench,
The monkey chased the weazle,
The priest, he kissed the cobbler's wife,
Pop went the weazle.
2. A penny for a ball of thread,
3. My wife, she is awful sick,
4. Johnny Bull, he makes his brag,
5. Mayor Wood has put the rumsellers through,
| American Song Index | Home Page |