Oh my God! what vengeful madness,|
Brother against brother rise;
See them fall upon each other
Rage and hate flash in their eyes.
2. Oh great God! what means this carnage,
3. Thus spoke a dying Federal soldier,
4. Ah how many, like this soldier,|
Have been duped by Lincoln's call;
Left behind their wives and children,
On the bloody field to fall?
5. What is all this for? you ask me,
6. Lincoln, Seward, Sumner, Beecher,
The title is from the dying words of a Federal Soldier on the Battle field of Manassas, 1861.
| Song Index | Home Page |