Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, 1863
I heard the bells on Christmas day|
Their old familiar carols play,
And wild and sweet the words repeat
Of peace on earth, good will to men.
2. I thought how, as the day had come,
3. And in despair I bowed my head
4. Then pealed the bells more loud and deep:|
'God is not dead, nor doth He sleep;
The wrong shall fail, the right prevail
With peace on earth, good will to men.'
5. Till ringing, singing on its way
6. Then from each black, accursed mouth
7. It was as if an earthquake rent
| Song Index | Home Page |