attr. to Carrie Bell Sinclair
Oh, yes, I am a Southern girl,|
And glory in the name,
And boast it with far greater pride
Than glittering wealth or fame.
We envy not the Northern girl,
Her robes of beauty rare,
Though diamonds grace her snowy neck,
And pearls bedeck her hair.
For the sunny South so dear;
Three cheers for the homespun dress
The Southern ladies wear.
2. The homespun dress is plain, I know,
3. Now, Northern goods are out of date;
4. The soldier is the lad for me-|
A brave heart I adore;
And when the sunny South is free,
And fighting is no more,
I'll choose me then a lover brave
From out the gallant band,
The soldier lad I love the best
Shall have my heart and hand.
5. The Southern land's a glorious land,
6. And now, young man, a word to you;
| Song Index | Home Page |