no date given, 1861?
Ho! Freedom's sons! come, list the cry,|
That booms across the sea;
"Alas! alas! for Liberty!
Man never can be free!"
Sadly I heard such German wail,
Moaning upon the Atlantic gale.
2. Hark! shouts of joy! monarchs rejoice!
3. Columbia's wordy boast was wind,
4. Fix fast that crown upon our brow!|
Return, sweet iron rule!
We always thought--we know it now,
This "people" is a fool!
Bring back the brazen laws of yore,
Now Draco's code of blood restore!
5. Columbia loathes her Western fudge!
6. Such Liberty we gladly greet,
7. O might we now, like Freedom's sons,|
Three millions sell and buy!
Columbia, alas! outruns
Our petty tyranny!
Reign! kings, henceforth by "Liberty,"
Upheld by "GALLANT CHIVALRY!"
| Song Index | Home Page |