Come all my jolly seamen,|
Likewise you landsmen too.
It is a dreadful story
I will unfold to you.
It's all about the Cumberland,
The ship so true and brave
And it's many the loyal seamen
That met a wat'ry grave.
2. It was early in the morning,
3. Then our captain took his telescope,
4. Then our decks were cleared for action,
5. In vain we poured our broadsides|
Into her ribs of steel,
But still no breach was in her,
No damage did she feel.
Up stepped the Rebel commander,
In a voice of thunder spoke,
"Pull down your flying colors,
Or I'll sink your Yankee boat!"
6. Then our captain's eyes did glisten,
7. Then this ironclad she left us
8. Then our captain turned unto his men
9. They swore that they'd not leave her,|
And manned the guns afresh,
And broadside after broadside poured,
Till the waters reached their breasts.
And as they down went sinking,
Down in the briny deep,
The Stars and Stripes still floated
From the maintop's highest peak!
| Song Index | Home Page |