When the anchor's weigh'd and the ship's unmoored,|
And the landsmen lag behind, sir,
The sailor joyful skips aboard,
And, swearing, prays for a wind, sir!
Still from care and thinking free,
Is a sailor's life at sea.
2. When we sail with a fresh'ning breeze,
3. When the wind at night whistles o'er the deep,
4. When the sky grows black and the wind blows hard,|
And the landsmen skulk below, sir,
Jack mounts up to the top-sail yard,
And turns his quid as he goes, sir!
Steadily, readily, etc.
5. When the foaming waves run mountains high,
6. When the ship, d'ye see, becomes a wreck,
| Song Index | Home Page |