The anchor is weighed and the sails they are set,|
The maids we are leaving we'll never forget,
For we're bound for the Rio Grande,
And away, Rio! Aye, Rio!
We're bound away this very day,
For we're bound for the Rio Grande!
2. So it's pack up your donkey and get under way,
3. We've a jolly good ship and a jolly good crew,
4. We'll sing as we heave to the maidens we leave,
5. Sing good bye to Nellie and good bye to Sue
6. And good-bye, fare you well, all you ladies of town
7. Now you Bowery ladies we'd have you to know|
We're bound to the south'ard, O Lord, let us go!
8. Heave with a will and heave long and strong,
9. Heave only one pawl, then 'vast heavin', belay!
10. We'll sell our salt cod for molasses and rum
11. The chain's up and down, now the bosun did say,
12. Our good ship's a-going out over the bar
13. O say was you ever in Rio Grande?
| Song Index | Home Page |