Traditional shanty; German text
I came down to Bowery one evening in July;|
I met a maid who asked my trade and a sailor John said
I then away you Santy, my dear Annie,
Oh, you New York girls, can't you dance the polka?
As I walked down on Broadway,|
One evening in July,
I met a maid who asked me trade,
And a Sailor John says I.
And away, you santee, my dear Annie,
Oh, you New York girls,
Can't you dance the Polka?
2. To Tiffany's I took her,
3. Sez she, "you limejuice sailor,
4. "My flash man he's a Yankee,|
Wid his hair cut short behind,
He wears a pair of long seaboot,
An' he's bosun in the backbull line."
5. "He's homeward bound this evenin',
6. So I kissed her hard an' proper,
7. I wrapped me glad rags round me,
| Shanty Song Index | Home Page |