Top: from Bawdy Sea Songs
Bottom: alternate version from a reader
Singing bell bottom trousers,
Coat of navy-blue.
Let him climb the rigging
Like his daddy used to do.
Once there was a waitress
2. They knew she was a simple girl
3. The Forty Second Fusiliers
4. They busted every maidenhead
5. Next came a company
6. Many a maid and mistress
7. One day there came a sailor.
8. At sea without a woman|
For seven years or more.
There wasn't any need to ask
What he was looking for.
9. He asked her for a candlestick
10. And speaking to her gently.
11. She lifted up the blanket
12. He was out again, and in again,
13. Then early in the morning
14. If you have a daughter,
Once there was a waitress in the Prince George Hotel|
Her mistress was a lady and her master was a swell
They knew she was a simple girls, and lately from the farm
And so they watched her carefully to keep her from all harm.
Singing a-bell bottom trousers, coats o' navy blue
Let'im climb the riggin' like 'is daddy used to do!
2. The Forty Second Fusiliers come marchin' in to town
3. Next come a company of the Prince of Wales Hussars
4. One day there came a sailor, an ordinary bloke
5. He asked her for a candlestick to light his way to bed
6. She lifted up the blanket and moment there did lie
7. Early in the morning the sailor lad arose
8. Now she sits beside the dock, a baby on her knee
| Shanty Song Index | Home Page |