Top: Original, Bottom: Robert Burns, 1791
You Jacobites by Name, now give Ear, now give Ear,|
You Jacobites by Name, now give Ear;
You Jacobites by Name,
Your Praise I will proclaim,
Some says you are to blame for this Wear.
2. With the Pope you covenant, as they say, as they say,
3. Your Prince and Duke o'Perth, where they go, where they go,
4. He is the King of Reef, I'll declare, I'll declare,
5. They marched thro' our Land cruelly, cruelly,
6. To Preston then they came, in a Rout, in a Rout,
7. To England then they went, as bold, as bold,
8. To London as they went, on the Way, on the Way,|
To London as they went, on the way,
To London as they went,
In a Trap did there present,
No battle they will stent, for to die.
9. They turned from that Place, and they ran, and they ran,
10. To Scotland then they came, when they fly, when they fly,
11. When Duke William does command, you must go, you must go;
12. Tho' Carlisle ye took by the Way, by the Way;
13. The Pope and Prelacy, where they came, where they came,
Ye Jacobites by name, lend an ear, give an ear!|
Ye Jacobites by name, lend an ear,
Ye Jacobites by name,
Your fautes I will proclaim,
Your doctrines I maun blame, you shall hear!
2. What is Right, and what is wrang, by the law, by the law?
3. What makes heroic strife, famed afar, famed afar?|
What makes heroic strife famed afar?
What makes heroic strife ?
To whet th' assassin's knife,
Or hunt a Parent's life, wi' bluidy war?
4. Then let your schemes alone, in the State, in the State!
| Song Index | Home Page |