James Montgomery, 1818
Prayer is the soul's sincere desire,|
Unuttered or expressed;
The motion of a hidden fire
That trembles in the breast.
2. Prayer is the burden of a sigh,
3. Prayer is the simplest form of speech
4. Prayer is the contrite sinner's voice,
5. Prayer is the Christian's vital breath,|
The Christian's native air,
His watchword at the gates of death;
He enters heaven with prayer.
6. The saints in prayer appear as one
7. Nor prayer is made by man alone,
8. O Thou, by Whom we come to God,
| Song Index | Home Page |