Nikolaus Herman, 1560; German text
Yea, as I live, Jehovah saith,|
I would not have the sinner's death,
But that he turn from error's ways,
Repent, and live through endless days.
2. To us therefore Christ gave command:
3. All those whose sins ye thus remit
4. What ye shall bind, that bound shall be:
5. They who believe when ye proclaim
6. The words which absolution give|
Are His who died that we might live;
The minister whom Christ has sent
Is but His humble instrument.
7. However great our sin may be,
8. When ministers lay on their hands,
9. This is the power of Holy Keys,
10. All praise, eternal Son, to Thee
11. Praise God the Father and the Son|
And Holy Spirit, Three in One,
As 'twas, is now, and so shall be
World without end, eternally!
| Hymn Index | Home Page |