Bartholomäus Ringwaldt, 1586, tr. by Philip A. Peter, 1880; German text
The day is surely drawing near|
When God's Son, the Anointed,
Shall with great majesty appear
As Judge of all appointed.
All mirth and laughter then shall cease
When flames on flames will still increase,
As Scripture truly teacheth.
2. A trumpet loud shall then resound
3. A book is opened then to all,
4. Then woe to those who scorned the Lord|
And sought but carnal pleasures,
Who here despised His precious Word
And loved their earthly treasures!
With shame and trembling they will stand
And at the Judge's stern command
To Satan be delivered.
5. O Jesus, who my debt didst pay
6. Therefore my Intercessor be
7. O Jesus Christ, do not delay,|
But hasten our salvation;
We often tremble on our way
In fear and tribulation.
Then hear us when we cry to Thee;
Come, mighty Judge, and make us free
From every evil! Amen.
| Hymn Index | Home Page |