Johann Franck, 1649; German text
Soul, adorn thyself with gladness,|
Leave behind all gloom and sadness;
Come into the daylight's splendor,
There with joy thy praises render
Unto Him whose grace unbounded
Hath this woundrous supper founded.
High o'er all the heavens He reigneth,
Yet to dwell with thee He deigneth.
2. Hasten as a bride to meet Him
3. He who craves a precious treasure
4. Ah, how hungers all my spirit
5. In my heart I find ascending|
Holy awe, with rapture blending,
As this mystery I ponder,
Filling all my soul with wonder,
Bearing witness at this hour
Of the greatness of Thy power;
Far beyond all human telling
Is the power within Him dwelling.
6. Human reason, though it ponder,
7. Jesus, Sun of Life, my Splendor,
8. Lord, by love and mercy driven
9. Jesus, Bread of Life, I pray Thee,|
Let me gladly here obey Thee.
By Thy love I am invited,
Be Thy love with love requited;
From this Supper let me measure,
Lord, how vast and deep love's treasure.
Though the gifts Thou here dost give me
As Thy guest in heaven receive me.
| Hymn Index | Home Page |