Johann Steuerlein, 1588, tr. by Catherine Winkworth, 1863; German text
The old year now hath passed away;|
We thank Thee, O our God, today
That Thou hast kept us through the year
When danger and distress were near.
2. We pray Thee, O eternal Son,
3. Take not Thy saving Word away,
4. Oh, help us to forsake all sin,|
A new and holier course begin!
Mark not what once was done amiss;
A happier, better year be this,
5. Wherein as Christians we may live
6. There shall we thank Thee and adore
| Hymn Index | Home Page |