Simon Dach, 1635, tr. by Henry W. Longfellow, 1845; German text
Oh, how blest are ye whose toils are ended,|
Who through death have unto God ascended!
Ye have arisen
From the cares which keep us still in prison.
2. We are still as in a dungeon living,
3. Ye meanwhile are in your chambers sleeping,
4. Christ has wiped away your tears forever;|
Ye have that for which we still endeavor;
To you are chanted
Songs that ne'er to mortal ears were granted.
5. Ah, who would, then, not depart with gladness
6. Come, O Christ, and loose the chains that bind us:
| Hymn Index | Home Page |