Johann F. Hertzog, 1670, v.9, unknown, 1693; German text
Now that the day has reached its close,|
The sun doth shine no more,
In sleep the toil-worn find repose
And all who wept before.
2. But Thou, my God, dost never sleep,
3. Therefore, O Lord, remember me
4. Keep satan's fury far from me
5. I know the evil I have done|
Doth cry aloud to Thee;
But yet in mercy Thy dear Son
Hath full atoned for me.
6. In Him accepted I shall be
7. And so I close my weary eyes,
8. Should this night prove the last for me
9. And thus I live and die to Thee,|
Strong Lord of hosts indeed.
In life, in death, deliver me
From every fear and need.
| Hymn Index | Home Page |