Paul Gerhardt, 1648; German text
Now rest beneath night's shadow|
The woodland, field, and meadow,
The world in slumber lies;
But Thou, my heart, awake thee,
To prayer and song betake thee;
Let praise to thy Creator rise.
2. The radiant sun hath vanished,
3. The rule of day is over
4. To rest my body hasteth,
5. Head, hands, and feet reposing|
Are glad the day is closing,
That work came to an end;
Cheer up, my heart, with gladness!
For God from all earth's sadness
And from sin's toil relief will send.
6. Ye weary limbs, now rest you,
7. My heavy eyes are closing;
8. Lord Jesus, who dost love me,
9. My loved ones, rest securely,|
For God this night will surely
From peril guard your heads.
Sweet slumbers may He send you
And bid His hosts attend you
And through the night watch o'er your beds.
| Hymn Index | Home Page |